A First World Problem


So, this evening I have been propelled into another Rage by Rakuten TV. This is the story: I've just logged into my Blinkbox profile to start re-watching (again) the series Parenthood. It is honestly one of the best TV series I have ever seen. And I was just feeling that I needed a little bit of inspiration (as well as cosy watching) on the, er, Parent Front. Since I've found myself feeling a little, what shall we say...? lacklustre, recently. Or, more colloquially, bored. It's a sad feeling, when I know I could be soaking up every moment of my gorgeous children a bit more. But better to be honest, hey. I don't know it it's an inner restlessness, or lack of holiday, or what, but , yes, I have found myself feeling a bit bored at times, of late. And so I thought a return to a Good Old Box set would be just what the doctor ordered. And I am so rageous that, when I've tried to go on and watch it - after about a year and a half's break - Blinkbox asks me to switch my account over (which I obediently do) to Rakuten TV and then... it is no longer in my library. And then just a little apology about that from Rakuten. What??!! This is why I so often hate technology. And you know what they have offered me in its place?! The series I overspent on and ended up buying for about £50??? VOUCHERS. What? Vouchers for Rakuten TV? I am so angry. So, have fired off an email of indignation asking to switch back to Blinkbox. But I fear the Terms and Conditions will leave me without a legal leg to stand on. This is why I say...bring back paper and pen, records and CDs, DVDs that you can hold in your hand. 

So now I need to find another 'comfort' thing for those rare snippets of free time and breaks that you sometimes get when looking after little ones, these little rare gems of half-hours or 20-minutes here or there - or even, some evenings, a whole... HOUR. Just something to lie back to. Something other than Facebook, which leaves me scrolling down a newsfeed for ... who knows what, and posting silly status updates just so people know I'm still in the Normal World.

Because I find that if I don't have the right kind of breaks, I just don't do as well looking after the children and I find myself sometimes seeing their existence as a kind of 'interruption' to my comfortable routine, thank you very much. I am much more able to play whatever game Grace has just constructed (this evening it was the 'Clap Game', involving colliding two colourful, plastic cups together and earlier in the morning it was a game involving looking for 'Max Cat' in Bing's room) when I feel well rested and have had good breaks. So... what to do with this First World Problem? Well, luckily I bought the box set on actual DVD and decided to give it to my Dad for a present. So I guess I'll dig that one out. And then all I need to do is find a DVD player. Sorry, Dad. Your present is now going to be 'preloved.' But you will (hopefully) have a sane daughter! 

Comments

  1. No problem, Han. Enjoy! xxx P. S. I've never heard of Blinkbox, never mind Rakuten TV.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts