Wee

So... this morning has been eerily smooth and I'm starting to feel nervous. I don't have days like this anymore. Though it might have something to do with the fact that Justyna, our cleaner, came today. Yes, I have admitted defeat in That Area. As well as the cooking area. It feels quite good to have given in, to be honest. There's nothing like coming down the stairs to highly-polished kitchen sides. A stark contrast to the kind of sides I come down and see on a Saturday morning when Michael has been doing the Kid Shift. 

* * * 

I clearly spoke too soon. Just as I was inserting that last full stop, I heard a cry and it was baby Isaac, the lightest sleeper in the world. He'd clearly not gone into a deep sleep in my non-Gina-Ford-dark bedroom. Anyway, I lay him on me for a feed and then I felt, for the second time, the warm gush of a wee coming out of the side of his nappy. He found this hilarious, of course. Why is this happening? It was the same yesterday. I'd just changed his nappy before I left the building (running late) and there it was... all over my T-shirt and carrier. Must be something to do with the way I do the tabs. Or that they're not Pampers. Hmm. Anyway, I wasn't about to change my t-shirt yesterday. Gosh, Ive just realised that I was wearing it today too. Maybe he doesn't like the t-shirt. 

But anyway today seems to have gone well so far. This is something, given that I usually feel like I'm running behind, muttering strange things under my breath, tripping over things and just generally feeling irked/slightly panicked. A bit like how I did in teaching - only this time I don't finish at 3.15. Or 6, for that matter. As I type this, Isaac has pulled himself up with great delight and is chewing on the side of the bed. He has actually just learned to go from sitting to standing, on his own. He's really excited about this and has been practising for the last few days. When he levitates, he puts both arms out and gives a kind of warrior cry and looks around. Yesterday, he stared at Grace's feet as she went past, as though to say 'hmm, I think I'll do that next.' Please don't, I thought.

So let's see what the rest of the day brings. I've decided to have a 'down day'. This is an experiment. It's the idea that I don't go anywhere much (not further than a walk anyway) and I spend the day 'playing.' I might be going out of my mind by 6pm this evening or I might see some magic in it. Either way I need to do something to help improve Gracie's behaviour at the moment. Since her second birthday she has been a walking cliche of a Terrible-Twos toddler. And it's getting worse. She seems to want all of my attention, almost all of the time. So I'm going to give it to her today, once she's woken up, and then she'll probably realise she doesn't want it after all and the disappointment of its reality will make her to ask for something easier to dispense, like a chocolate Freddo face. Those are good. 

Comments

Popular Posts